I know I’ve been gone for a while. I also know that good blog posts don’t start off that way. But I’m a rule-breaker so deal with it.
Anyway, lots of stuff has been going on. I still don’t have my own working computer, which is the main reason I’ve been gone. I’m using my dad’s because I just can’t handle not writing anymore. I know I have to fill you in on the past thousand years (I got married?!), but for now we’re just going to act like there hasn’t been a giant gap and dive right in to the here and now.
I turned 29 on March 19th. Not usually a big deal. Typically, people freak out when they turn 30. But I’ve never done things typically. So I realized that I’m fine with the firsts that come with change — I’m always down to try new things; the issue I have is letting go of the lasts. Therefore, since 29 is the last year of my 20s, it’s difficult for me.
But I put that freak out to good use.
I’ve already been getting out and about and exploring and experiencing more in the past year than usual. But I decided to go big this year. First, I dubbed it my “year of experiences” — in which I would try my hardest to get out there and experience life instead of remaining uninterested and bed-ridden. Then it quickly changed to my “yes year” — meaning I would say yes to anything and everything people invited me to or even mentioned. From there, I decided there were things I wanted to do so the whole thing turned into a sort of bucket list. But a Before 30 Bucket List. Along with going with the flow and having fun experiences that come my way, there’s a list of about 80 things (and growing) that I’m trying my damnedest to accomplish by my next birthday. Which means I have until March 18th, 2018 to do a shitton of stuff.
I made this list in part by Googling those dumb articles about “30 Things to Accomplish Before you Turn 30” and incorporating some of their ideas into my own. It was a funny adventure, however, because when you think about it how many people really think to look at those lists in their late teens or early 20s? I’m guessing most people don’t really hunker down about being successful in their 30s until they’re close to 30, so some of the lists cracked me up. One of them had “Travel Alone,” “Have A Baby,” “Live Abroad,” and “Buy A House”. All on the same list. Sorry, but only superheroes can pull off all that shit in a year. I did add one of those things to my personal list, though, so it wasn’t a total loss.
I’ve already knocked out a few items, and those posts are in the works. I plan to keep you updated on all of the list shenanigans, and I’m keeping track of the random stuff that happens to come along but isn’t on the list so I can give you a wrap-up at the end of the year (MY Year, not the Calendar Year). But first I simply wanted to introduce to you the idea, and prepare you for the posts to come.
So here is my list. Many things are vague and I allow wiggle room. You’ll find out what I mean by that in upcoming posts of things I’ve achieved. In italic are my plans/ideas, so you can join me!
Rock Out At A Concert √
Go To A Brewery √
Meet Favorite Author √
4. Attend A Big Sports Event (76ers)
5. Unplug For A Full Day
6. Try A New Sport (Surfing)
7. Girls’ Getaway
8. Learn To Play An Instrument (Online course from SkillSuccess)
9. Improve Wine Knowledge (Online course from EventTrix)
10. Learn Family History (Family Tree DNA Test)
11. Learn To Gamble (Card Games Book)
12. Learn To Cook (Online course from Rouxbe)
13. Visit A New American City (Denver Sept 27th through Oct 3rd)
14. Have Portrait Taken
Read Classic Novel About Women, By A Woman √
16. Go Skinny Dipping
17. Throw A Dinner Party
18. Test Drive Dream Car (Velocity Driving in Philly)
19. Sing Karaoke (Clancy’s in Somers Point, NJ every Tuesday night)
20. Skydive (Tandem Skydive @ Skydive Baltimore / Tandem Skydive @ Skydive Jersey)
21. Climb A Mountain / Rock Climb (while in Denver)
22. Learn To Bartend (Online course from Bartender & Barista)
23. Scuba Dive (Discover Scuba Diving Course @ Indian Valley Scuba in PA)
Learn A New Language √
25. Go Camping
27. Go Whitewater Rafting (Valley to Summit in PA)
28. Apply For Dream Job (Submit book manuscript to publishers)
29. Go Hiking (in Denver)
Learn Astronomy √
31. Stop Drinking Soda Altogether (Last soda on March 19th – half a soda on June 9th)
32. Ride A Roller Coaster (6 Flags in Jackson, NJ)
Learn To Dance √
34. Dive With Sharks (Cage Diving in West Palm Beach in November)
Start Workout Routine √
36. Get Organized
37. Stop Smoking
38. Read A History Book (Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W Loewen)
39. Learn How To Build A Computer (Online Course from International Open Academy)
Fire A Gun √
Write A Letter To Yourself Now (At 29) As If You’re 39 √
42. Eat Healthier
43. Get A Passport
44. Go To New York City For New Year’s Eve
Take A How-To Class √
46. Write A Book (In progress)
Read A Classic Book √
Watch A Classic Movie √
Make A New Family Tradition √
Learn A DIY Craft √
51. See A Broadway Show (Cats)
52. Ride A Motorcycle
53. Go Fishing
Get A High-End Name Brand (i.e. Expensive) Bag or Pair Of Shoes √
56. Walker Stalker Con (New Jersey Dec 10th)
57. Buy A Round For The House
59. Visit A Famous Fictional Location (Coyote Ugly in Denver)
60. Visit A Rock Icon Location (Strawberry Fields — John Lennon Memorial @ Central Park, NYC)
61. Rent A Vacation House With Friends
62. Throw A Fundraiser
Travel Alone √
64. Go To A Music Festival (Summer Nights with Aaron Carter in August)
65. Party In A Big City (NYC NYE)
Complete a 5k / Walk For Charity √
67. Eat At A Famous Restaurant (Tavern on the Green in Central Park)
68. Eat Something Unusual
69. Watch A Meteor Shower (Aug 12th, Oct 7-8th, Oct 22nd, Nov 18th, Dec 13th, Dec 22nd)
70. Ride A Mechanical Bull (Mountain Bar @ Bally’s Casino, AC, NJ)
Get Lost On Purpose In An Unfamiliar Place √
72. Bake A Cheesecake
73. Explore All Of Central Park
Go Horseback Riding √
March In An LGBT Pride Parade √
76. Go Skiing / Snowboarding
77. Go To A Tattoo Convention (Bally’s Casino, AC, NJ Nov 3rd, 4th, 5th)
78. Bring Son To Storybook Land
Get A Job √
80. Zipline (while in Denver)
81. Improve Credit
82. Go Back To College (Summer class starts July 10th, Fall in Sept)
83. Go To A Rodeo (Cowtown Rodeo)
84. Get Out Of Debt (Owe $3,379)
85. Finish Sleeve
86. See Favorite Band Live (Guns N’ Roses October 8th in Philly)
87. Ride In A Hot Air Balloon (while in Denver)
So there you have it. I even bought a nifty “Bucket List Journal” so I can keep track of everything.
I know it’s a lot to take on. And I know some things are probably not going to happen. But I’m going to do my best to try to at least attempt them all within the next year. Or, technically, 11 months, 1 week, and 1 day.
Also, I have already done many things on this list throughout my life. But once you put it all down on paper and in front of you, you realize how little you do the fun things anymore and how much time has passed since your last adventure, so these are simply all the things I’d like to accomplish while I’m 29 — no more, no less.
Also also I’m not doing them in order so you’ll be seeing random numbers throughout the next 11 months, 1 week, and 1 day.
Do you have a bucket list? Do you want to do mine with me? Do you have any advice or ideas for new goals? Let ‘er rip in the comments!
(p.s. thank you for sticking with me throughout my ridiculousness.)
(p.p.s. I met Jenny Lawson aka The Bloggess but technically that happened four days before I turned 29 so it’s not part of the list, I just wanted to tell you how excited I am about it, and let you know that I’ll write about it soon.)